Model content is added (exported) to VEO from an authoring application (AutoCAD or Revit) using the VEO Plugins. Once model content is in VEO, it is considered a Model Stream.
- Both the authoring applications (AutoCAD or Revit) and the appropriate VEO Plugin must be installed in order to add or update model content to VEO.
- VEO Plugins and/or the authoring application are not required to view or work with model content once it has been exported to the VEO Viewer application.
Once started, the process is similar in both AutoCAD and Revit, though activating the Export dialog window varies.
With Revit closed, download and install the Revit Plugin from https://www.m-six.com/#downloads.
Open your Revit project and select the VEO tab from the ribbon.
Click on the Export button to initialize the VEO Plugin.
The VEO Exporter window provides access to settings and options for exporting model content from the authoring application to VEO. Any Revit models that have been linked into your current Revit project will appear in this window and will be exported as their own independent Model Stream. If you do not wish to include one or more of the models listed, simply un-check the box in the Export column.
Selecting a Location is required. Do this by clicking on the Choose Location... button in the Location field next to each model. To configure the Location for more than one Model File at a time, multi-select the listed Model Files in the VEO Exporter window, then click on any of the Choose Location... buttons that correspond with your selection.
When the Choose Location window appears, select the project name to place the Model Stream in the root of the VEO Project. If applicable, select a Group to add the Model Stream directly to a group within your Project Structure.
Once the required Location setting has been defined, the Start button will become available to begin exporting your models.
Click on the Change Export Settings / Show Info... button to bring up the Export Settings window.
The Export Settings window is unique to the Revit Plugin and allows the user to define what geometry is exported and the coordinate system that should be used for that Model File.
Revit Location refers to the coordinate systems contained within the Revit Project and can be defined three ways.
- Ask on Export - The VEO Exporter will prompt the user to select the appropriate coordinate system during export.
- Use Revit Project Location - Uses the active project location.
- Use None - Resets project location to default values.
Export Selected will require the user to have an active selection prior to initializing the VEO Exporter and will only export selected objects.
Visibility tells the VEO Exporter which geometry to include in the export.
- Export Visible - Exports all visible content within the 3D view.
- Export Visible + Room Volumes - Exports all visible content within the 3D view plus room volumes.
- Export All - Exports all geometry found within the Revit project, even if it's hidden in the active 3D view.
Info displays some basic information about your current session.
- VEO Connection - Displays the current status of the VEO Exporter's communication with the VEO Viewer.
- Connected - Online
- Connection is established to the server.
- Disconnected - Offline
- Not connected to the server. Check your Internet connection or login to your project with the VEO Viewer.
- Connected - Online
- Logged-in as - The currently logged in user.
- Cache Location - The path of the VEO Cache folder.
Config Options give the user the ability to define the parameters, or metadata, that will export along with the geometry, as well as providing some advanced options for applying various transformations.
The Config Options column in the VEO Exporter will report three different states.
- Basic - Indicates the Config Options have not been defined by a user. This is the default state of an unpublished Model Stream.
- Previous - Using the same Config Options as a previous export. This indicates that you're updating an existing Model Stream and not publishing a new one. The previous settings are pulled from the project and are not dependent on the Model Stream being updated from the same computer, or even by the same user.
- Custom - Indicates that the Config Options have been modified during your current session.
Click on the field in the Config Options column to open the configuration window. Config Options can be configured in bulk by multi-selecting the listed Model Files in the VEO Exporter window then clicking within any of the Config Options field that corresponds with your selection.
The Parameters tab in the Config Options window allows the user to define what metadata will be exported along with the geometry. The Basic Tags are also displayed along the top of the search bar. Basic Tags will be included in every export regardless of configuration.
Choose your desired Tags and/or Properties by expanding a category and checking the box next to a value. In the image below we see that the Voltage and Wattage for the Electrical Equipment will be exported as a tag and that the Length and Volume for Structural Columns will be exported as Properties. In addition, by clicking in the Click to rename... field in the Tag Alias Name column, the Length of the Structural Columns has been renamed to Cut Length. Renaming these values is a quick and easy way to achieve consistency when pulling geometry and metadata from files authored by various different organizations that may be using different values to represent the same data.
For more on Tags and Properties see Tags & Objects.
With the Show Unselected box checked (in the bottom left corner), all available parameters will be displayed. With the Show Unselected box un-checked, only the selected parameters will be displayed, this allows the user to easily view the current configuration.
Use the Import Parameters and Exporter Parameters button to save your configuration to a local file or to import a previously saved configuration.
The Advanced tab allows Scale, Rotate, and Translate (move) options upon export. Settings configured in the Advanced Options are retained in future model updates.
To change the name of the Model Stream simply click in the Rename Model Stream field and enter the desired name.
If desired, check the Include Lines in Export box to include 2D and 3D line work.
The AutoCAD Plugin is the same as the Revit Plugin with a few key exceptions.
Use the VEOEXPORT command to initialize the VEO Exporter. There is no ribbon menu.
When the AutoCAD Plugin initializes, the user is prompted to either Export Active or Export Batch.
Export Active will launch with the exporter for the currently open and active drawing.
Export Batch will open a file explorer so multiple DWG's can be selected.
The AutoCAD Plugin then collects all the metadata contained within the selected files. This can take a little time depending on the size and complexity of the chosen files.
Once the metadata has been collected the Model Streams can be configured and exported.